Based in London and writing for a global audience our aim is to produce EliteFootballTalk. Enjoy the site and feel welcome to join in our discussion on the beautiful game.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Alan Shearer - a Selfish Opportunist?

I will set out from the outset that I have never been Alan Shearer’s biggest fan. I also accept that this article is not fact-based as it is based on my own perceptions and because there is no way of knowing what goes on in the board room at Newcastle United. However, I do believe that there is more to Shearer’s appointment to Newcastle today than just his love for the club.

Shearer was an extraordinary player, the most talented out-and-out striker that England has produced in a long time. However, I always felt that he welded too much power, both at Newcastle and with England, and I was alarmed at how comfortable he felt in having such a dominant influence as a player. The prime example of this was his role in almost single-handedly sacking Ruud Gullit as manager at Newcastle.

I have been even more unimpressed with Shearer since he hung up his playing boots. His analysis with the BBC has never, to my mind, been insightful or thought provoking. Instead he has resorted to clichés and old fashioned football mantra – “they need to have passion”, “they don’t like it when it gets rough” etc etc. For me, he does not have what it takes to be a modern football manager.

But what has riled me most is the overbearing influence he happily enjoys over Newcastle from the sidelines. Graeme Souness, Sam Allardyce, Glen Roeder have all had their tenures and indeed appointments undermined by Alan Shearer’s refusal to declare his intentions regarding his inevitable approach to manage the club. I would very much doubt that any one of these managers would say that Alan Shearer actually supported their efforts with the club and yet he has declined to accept the mantle and responsibility of managing Newcastle himself. I feel that this is because he has been fearful of the harm to his reputation as the prodigal son should he not prove to be a “success”.

And now we have the situation where Shearer has finally accepted the accepted a role to manage Newcastle until the end of the season. For me, this is typical of the opportunist that is Alan Shearer – for this is a situation from which he cannot lose. If Newcastle get relegated, then he will argue that it was not his fault as he came on board at the tail end of the season with only a few games remaining. However, if Newcastle survive, he will be heralded as a saviour upon whom all credit should be bestowed. In effect he is using the next couple of months as his own personal management training ground – and well renumerated at that.

I have nothing against Newcastle as a football club, but I fully expect most Newcastle fans to disagree with my opinion.

What do you think?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps he just loves the club and can't bear to watch them slide into the Championship without a fight.
I agree it's a win win situation for Big Al, most Newcastle fans believe we we're as good as buried anyway so if he fails to keep us he wiont be considered a faliur.
however, your earlier comments regarding his cahracter just empahasise that he's his own man and a leader, with an ego to match. the key attributes needed for any top manager

4/01/2009 1:36 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Newcastle fan and I could have written this article myself - apart from the bit about Shearer being a good management prospect ( i think he will be a class manager).

Other than that - spot on, and as I say i'm a season ticket holder....and no doubt in the minority

4/01/2009 1:37 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice attempt at putting a spin on a story. NUFC is in dire straits, fans are depressed and the team lacks confidence so the last thing we need is the likes of you finding a negative angle to a glimmer of hope.

Shearer never undermined Roeder, he supported him by standing with him in the dugout and spoke publicly in his defence. Any negativity towards Souness and Allardyce only improves the man's standing in my view.

Not even sure why I wasted my time responding to this rubbish.

4/01/2009 1:37 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think you are alone in your views. I think his delaying the inevitable retirement to break the goals records was as selfish an act as you would ever see. Him first, club second. Not quite Brand Beckham, but getting there. Of course I wish him well, I have supported this club for over 35 years. But the timing is odd, and part of me wishes this is the most elaborate April Fool ever, but to think that would take us back to Hughton and Calderwood. And that, sadly, is worse.....

4/01/2009 1:38 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Newcastle fan and I never really got into the hero worship of Shearer. I took a dislike to him when he scored a penalty for Blackburn at the Gallowgate end and celebrated like he'd just won the World Cup Final. A strange thing for a Geordie to do in front of his own I thought. He also has a squinty-eyed dodgy look about him. Not someone to be trusted in my opinion. Having said all that, I am amazed he has taken the managers job and is willing to work for the much hated 'Cockney Mafia'. How did Newcastle sink this low?

4/01/2009 1:43 pm

 
Blogger Abdul said...

Thanks for the the interesting comments. That there are less favourable opinions of shearer amongst Newcastle fans never comes across in the media at all. Instead the fans are portrayed as one monotone voice. I wish Newcastle all tne best in the next couple of months. The Premier League is where the club belong.

4/01/2009 11:20 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newcastle were a great side until Shearer joined them in 1996. They went downhill from that point on. I cannot see Newcastle surviving relegation.

4/02/2009 1:16 pm

 
Blogger Skipper said...

I expect to see him back on the MOTD chair vey soon.

4/05/2009 1:20 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Locations of visitors to this page